Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Senior Sports Journalist
New Zealand’s media landscape is about to undergo an exciting transformation. TVNZ and RNZ will become one entity next year, producing top-quality news and entertainment for New Zealanders, by New Zealanders.
This is your chance to join RNZ at a pivotal time in our history. We’re thrilled about the new opportunities that are about to be available to our people; and we hope you can join us.
Te Tūranga – The opportunity
This is an opportunity to develop your skills and improve on your craft at a unique organisation. New Zealand's award-winning Public broadcaster, RNZ aims to develop a life-long relationship with all the people of Aotearoa by enriching, reflecting and connecting the communities of Aotearoa and the Pacific through informative, challenging and entertaining storytelling.
Te Mahi – About the job
RNZ Pacific broadcasts to radio stations and individual listeners across the Pacific region, and on shortwave frequencies around the World. We also produce extensive online news and current affairs programmes about Pacific issues.
Our daily current affairs programme, Pacific Waves, Pacific news bulletins, and online content are listened to and accessed across the Pacific Region and around the World. In 2020, our website received over 9 million views, over a million of which came from the continental United States. Our content is also carried by RNZ National and the BBC’s Pacific Service.
Ōu Pūkenga - About You
We’re looking for someone:
- Tertiary journalism qualification or equivalent experience;
- with a couple of years journalism experience – original reporting, researching & news editing; who has the ability to work both independently and as part of a small, tight-knit team;
- who is savvy in digital journalism, online media platforms and social media; and
- who possess a deep cultural understanding and appreciation for the Pacific Region and has some capability with Pacific languages, other than English.
You will work well under pressure to meet our demanding deadlines, produce high quality material for our high-profile news programmes and website, and have a strong broadcast quality voice.
Ngā Hua: What we offer
- An opportunity to be creative and join a great team
- Salary between $70,000 to $85,000
- We will match an employee’s KiwiSaver contribution up to 4%
- RNZ supports work/life balance for our people including working from home initiatives where possible Comprehensive wellbeing support
Te Ahurea – Our Culture
We are committed to fostering an inclusive and constructive culture. This means creating a place where our people feel like they belong and can do their best work. We do this through our attitudes; Be Bold, Better Every Day and Extend Manaakitanga.
This is a full-time role and can be based in Auckland or Wellington. Other locations may be considered.
Please note: A complete application includes your covering letter and a CV.
Applications close: Friday 7 October
RNZ is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and welcomes applicants reflecting New Zealand’s cultural and ethnic diversity.