Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Kaikōkiri Karere Matua
Te Tūranga – The opportunity
An opportunity to work with New Zealand’s award-winning public broadcaster, RNZ aims to strengthen Aotearoa and the Pacific through informative, challenging and entertaining content.
engage and transform the way te ao Māori stories are treated and told with the
dedicated support of the entire team at RNZ.
Te Mahi – About the job
- Break Māori news and regularly contribute ideas for original, investigative and enterprise stories.
- Provide Māori story content for all RNZ platforms – radio, digital and social media.
- Research and write stories on Māori news issues as required.
- Provide timely, informed and relevant comment and analysis on Māori events in the local, national or international arena.
- Display an in-depth knowledge and understanding of Te Ao Māori.
- Report live on air and online on breaking news, running stories, and both from RNZ bureaux and from the field.
- Write clear, sharply angled news copy, and more detailed background, feature and analysis copy as necessary.
- Update new directions and story developments / follow-ups, as required.
- Foster and maintain a widespread network of contacts to bring in and break news stories.
Ōu Pūkenga - About You
To be successful in this role you will require the following:
- Tertiary journalism qualification or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of Māori Issues and their importance to Māori and New Zealand.
- Reliable knowledge and understanding of Te Reo Māori and Māori tikanga.
- Current valid drivers’ licence is essential.
- Broadcast quality voice.
- Good English, Māori, and Pacific Island language pronunciation skills.
Ngā Hua: What we offer
- An opportunity to join a great team and organisation culture.
- Development and regular training opportunities for our people.
- Competitive salary.
- Will match an employee’s KiwiSaver contribution up to 4%.
- Additional leave provisions for some roles and the option to buy extra leave.
- Comprehensive parental leave over and above standard legislation.
- Company discounts and benefits including discounted Southern Cross health insurance, car rental services and free flu shots.
- RNZ supports work/life balance for our people including working from home initiatives where possible.
- Comprehensive wellbeing support including access to a confidential support, guidance and counselling service.
Te Ahurea – Our Culture
We are committed to fostering an inclusive and constructive culture. This means creating a place where our people feel like they belong and can do their best work. We do this through our attitudes; Be Bold, Better Every Day and Extend Manaakitanga.
This is a full-time role based in either Whangārei, Hamilton or Auckland but we are open to flexibility.
To apply for this role please complete your application on our careers site, including your covering letter and a CV. If applying through Seek you will be able to view and download a copy of the job description for this role after clicking Apply.
Applications close: Wednesday 6th December 2023RNZ is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and welcomes applicants reflecting New Zealand’s cultural and ethnic diversity