Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Editorial Graphic Designer
At RNZ we’re looking for new ways to tell important stories both in words and in pixels, and we need someone to help drive the visual storytelling across our digital platforms. The editorial designer sits in the middle of technology, design and journalism. They’ll work with journalists, editors, visual journalists, the social media team, and developers to create rich story experiences for our growing audience.
They’ll manage time and resources to create a diverse scope of graphics supporting daily news and other storytelling. They’ll help to create and execute concepts for new approaches to visual storytelling and grow the graphics skills of the RNZ news and digital teams.
They’ll work with our digital news, in depth, Pacific, podcast and audience engagement teams to develop and execute multi-platform projects. They’ll get stuck in during breaking news, but also be able to plan for investigative and enterprise projects.
The ability to effectively collaborate, along with intellectual curiosity and initiative are essential to be successful in this role. They’ll have great communication and interpersonal skills and work well under pressure (and on deadline). They’ll contribute to the overall positive and creative atmosphere of the department.
We are looking for a designer who can evaluate news and other factual content and offer smart concepts for visual storytelling while working within a style and on deadline. Are you a designer who thrives in deadline situations and keeps current with news (and also business and sports and podcasts and in-depth reporting)?
We’re less worried about how much experience someone has, and more about getting the right person in the role. So, in this position, you will:
- Design digital stories for rnz.co.nz
- Learn and follow style guidelines
- Collaborate with editors, reporters and other visual journalists to tell stories with impact
- Shape and edit content with the audience’s needs in mind
- Work on deadline
- Be willing to be flexible in all deadline situations
- Well-developed typographic skills and use of colour
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates excellence in design
- Strong working knowledge of design software such as InDesign/Illustrator and Photoshop and industry-standard tools
- Great communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with other teams under extreme pressure.
- Auckland preferred, Wellington would be considered.
Please note: A complete application includes your covering letter and a CV.
Applications close: Friday 21 February 2020
RNZ is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and welcomes applicants reflecting New Zealand’s cultural and ethnic diversity.
Permanent Full Time
Job no: 454
Location: Wellington, Auckland
Closing Date: Friday, 21 February 2020